9/04/2011

Sennheiser HD 25-SP II Headphone Review

Sennheiser HD 25-SP IIThe Sennheiser HD 25-SP II are closed dynamic headphones for monitoring, recording and outdoor applications. They are a lower-cost alternative to the HD 25 II, featuring a simpler headband and a slightly different capsule design.

When I first received the Sennheiser HD 25-SP II I was a little disappointed. They were tight on my head, to bright for my liking and bass was a little lacking. Right out of the box I was comparing them with my HD280s and felt that the 280s were better in every aspect except ergonomics. After a couple weeks of use I got used to the fit and started to notice the presentation was improving.

I actually fell in love with these headphones at CanJam 2010. Up till this point I was driving the phones with my ipod. I had read some reviews and an amp was recommended so I was on a mission for an amp. After many amps and comparing these phones with the best of the pack I can honestly say that they hold there own with the bid dogs when they have the right source and amplification. They have nice bass response and the highs were no longer overpowering. Overall I would say the sound spectrum is very well balanced.

There isolation is great when I use the phones at work or play. They stay on your head what ever activity you participate in, and when someone is trying to speak with you, you can easily pull them off to one side and listen. They have a rugged build and I suspect they will last for many years no matter what your activities are. Parts are readily available and the phones have a very simple construction so they are easy to work on and modify if you so desire.

Final thoughts. These Great little phones don't come alive until they have been burned in and are given a good source and amplification. The fit takes a little getting used to so give them some time.

Features

    Very lightweight and comfortable, even if used for long periods
    High maximum sound pressure level
    65 Ohm nominal impedance for universal compatibility
    Tough, detachable OFC cable
    Neodymium ferrous magnet systems and lightweight aluminium/copper voice

No comments:

Post a Comment